This is a large batch of hypocras that I made for Acorn War 28.
- 3L red wine (I used Carlo Rossi Burgundy)
- 64 cubebs
- 12 cloves
- 2.5c sugar (I use a mix of white and piloncillo)
- 1 tsp fresh nutmeg
- 2 oz fresh ginger
- 1.5 oz cinnamon/cassia
I made this batch as a blending of 3 of the 3L batches as above with 2 of them using white sugar, and 1 using pure piloncillo sugar.
The wine was allowed to sit in 1 gallon jugs for 3 days before straining/filterig and putting into a keg.
I served this at room temperature at only 3-5psi. (It was drunk by the group in under a day)
A Carlo Rossi bottle contains 4L of wine, for this recipe I use 3L in order to provide room in the bottle.
- Crush the cubebs (tellecherry peppercorns work fine) and cloves (I grind them with a mortar and pestle)
- Grate or microplane fresh nutmeg until you have 1tsp
- Break the cinnamon or cassia into small pieces.
- Peel and chop the fresh ginger
- Add the sugar to the bottle and shake to mix
- Add the remaining spices and shake to mix.
- Allow to sit in a cool dark place shaking once or twice a day (I usually let it got 2-3 days) judge by taste when it is ready.
- Sanitize a strainer (I use a re-usable coffee filter)
- Filter into a sanitized container for serving.